Thursday, April 5, 2007

How many children - more

Now that I have finally made peace with this and a decision, and have moved on to pondering other matters such as the best all-purpose cleaner, the question of number of children has decided to follow me around like a little puppy. Won't leave me alone.

I just talked to my sister who informs me that she has decided to have no more children. The reason being "One is enough, we can give her everything without compromise and can't imagine starting all over."

Alright. Deep breaths. Everyone has a right to their opinion & I should respect it. I have bossed over her all her life, enough now. Her life, her body, her ...aargh! But I also have the right to be shocked and demand a better explanation than that. Damn it! I am the big sister - not just hers but in the entire generation! "Give the only child everything" - we aren't exactly talking of people here who don't know where the next paycheck is coming from. These are people who can afford to own apartments & cars in not one but two countries. Did I mention she is younger than me, by many years, and the first child is all of 4 years old? Oh, and she has a maid and her MIL, whom she gets along with quite nicely, lives with her and is happy to supervise the "staff" so it's not like my sister has to give up her job. I would think they can provide and care for their own, and few of mine and still have left over to give whatever it is they want to give their first child.

In truth, I am venting here because I didn't on the phone. I didn't say any of this to her. Only suggested that she might want to reconsider before it is truly too late to have more children. I begged a little on her first child's behalf. No more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*hug*

I find I have a much harder time accepting my sister's parenting choices than I do with anybody else's. I can *so* relate to how this feels. (And I don't know the answer either.)