Wednesday, July 21, 2010

More tricks of indirection

Bedtime has become another daily struggle in my household. This problem comes back at regular intervals to haunt me with new and creative forms. I repeat again and again that I will turn the lights out at such and such time. If they get in the bed before that they get reading time until the lights are out, and that my kids consider a big reward. Yet, I find myself tagging behind, repeatedly reminding them that their time is almost up, and still they dawdle. They will get involved in time-consuming activities such as rearranging all their stuffed animals, and then keep begging for "one more minute". Needless to say this is very frustrating, esp late in the evening when I am running a short fuse.

Tonight, just because I simply felt incapable of tagging behind without losing my temper completely, I picked up a kitchen timer, set it to fifteen minutes and said "I will come back to turn out the lights when the timer tings". They asked whether they can read if they got into bed earlier than the fifteen minutes and I said "of course". Then I walked away.

The results couldn't have been more different! The girls were in bed quickly, and there was no more imploring for "one more minute" when I turned out the light. They have a digital clock in their room so when I say lights are out at 8:30, it is not that I am leaving them clueless - they have an easy way to check how they are doing with time. Somehow, the tick-tock of the kitchen timer coupled with the countdown effect seems to have been a better persuader.

The bigger question is what kind of technique do I need to invent to keep myself using this new found wisdom, and not regress back to nagging the kids!

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Way cool!

If you're looking for similar ideas, I believe the "Love and Logic" parenting books have 'em. As you probably know, the basic philosophy of "Love and Logic" is to take yourself out of the equation and have a natural consequence, or at least something like having a timer ring.

(Disclaimer: I've only read one of the books, and it must have been the weird stepchild of the "Love and Logic" family. So I'm only guessing about what's in their other books.)

Alien Mama said...

Valerie,
I do remember reading one of the Love & Logic books years ago and liking the ideas presented there. Possibly they stayed in my subconscious mind and are the seeds for what I am doing now.