Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Happiness

Happiness eludes those who actively pursue it. It has taken me a long time to learn this lesson and started ruminating on it again after reading this article.

For as long as I remember my answer to the question what I want from life has been “happiness”. I finally find that I am achieving that goal only after giving up its dogged pursuit. Weird as it may sound, once I gave up trying to actively plan to do the things that I thought would make me happy, partly in frustration and partly due to lack of time, I seem to be finding time and avenues to do those things.

I reluctantly stepped out of the rat race a decade ago, thinking I was making a compromise for the sake of my children by giving up on a promising career. However, I have finally achieved professional satisfaction after being freed of the burden to climb the next rung of the corporate ladder. I don’t have some middle management executive position to impress people with, but I do have work I enjoy that utilizes my talents, and I work with people I share mutual respect with. The money is adequate, and the biggest perk is that hours and location are flexible. I am able to spend entire summer break in India giving kids time to connect with their roots and bond with family which will nourish their souls and provide more memories than any exotic vacation could. Summer camps might be enriching, but carefree and agenda-free summer breaks are rejuvenating.

In a similar manner I was very reluctantly pushed into a semi-permanent lifestyle a few years ago – no house to call my own, 3-6 months leases and absolutely no clue where we will be after that. Practicality and lack of storage space forced me to pare down our possessions and stop acquiring new ones. And their again I was liberated from spending time shopping for and caring for inanimate objects. I find time to read, exercise and play with the kids – all activities that add joy to life.

I am not about to renounce the world and enter a monastery. I am quite aware of the power of money. However, I am also convinced that after you have enough money to cover the basics, the correlation between happiness and money breaks. There is definitely more happiness in less, and I hope to enjoy every minute of it.

1 comment:

Subbu said...

Hi Indu -

Great post! Definition of happiness in the modern world and how to achieve it couldn't have been said better!