Thursday, August 28, 2008

Once, the movie

I enjoyed the film Once and love the soundtrack. I have it on my iPod and since I often play it in the car my daughters enjoy the music too. The other day they asked me that if they could see the movie as well and I am still debating if I should show it to them.

On one hand it could be a very simple decision; the film is rated R because there is a lot of swearing in normal conversations, not the obligatory kind that happens in some Hollywood action films. The story of the film is based in Dublin. There was this other beautiful Irish film I saw which was rated R too because of all the swearing. Do Irish people really swear that much!? Normally I am extremely uncomfortable with swearing. "Shit" is the worst I can do. I can't even hear anything worse than that but somehow Irish swearing doesn't bother me as much.

On the other hand it is a very beautiful film. The romance between the main characters is very simple, realistic and sweet. Unlike most Hollywood movies, even the movies directed towards teens and most music these days, sex isn't portrayed as the be all and end all of the romance. It isn't that big kiss that finally tells you "he loves you", but it is lot of little events and encounters. There is a very awkward attempt at sex in the movies but it doesn't get very far. I think it will be good for my girls to be exposed to this kind of stuff as I doubt they are going to encounter many realistic romances in their lives. I do not want them to grow up with the ridiculous idea of love that pop culture sells these days where love and sex are impossible to distinguish from each other, and there are no conflicts in love.

No comments: