Thursday, March 1, 2007

Choosing a school

I have one child entering kindergarten this fall, and I was talking with another mom about the options. Her child is in the same preschool as mine, and will be starting Kindergarten in fall as well so I was really eager to hear her point of view. She told me that she has decided on elementary school 'A'.

Somebody who has already made a decision - Oh, I want to know more on what factors she considered as it will help my wavering mind. Our neighborhood has a school too - school 'B' and I hear it is quite good as well. So I felt compelled to respond "Why did you choose 'B' over 'A'? I hear 'A' is good too, and we can just walk the kids there instead of driving."

"Yes I looked at 'B'. But 'A' is a newer school. It was built just two years ago." She replied.

I patiently waited for her to finish her reasoning, hoping to hear more - something about teachers, principal, PTO. But that was her whole criterion - the newness of the school!

A few days later I was talking to my Realtor about another area that we are considering living in. He tells me there are two good schools in that area, but I should focus on the east of such-and-such road, because then my kids can go to the newer school.

Huh? That is how we are deciding which school is better nowadays? And I though that the quality of a school depended upon the leadership of the principal, the quality of the teachers and the involvement of the parents! Of course, you wouldn't want to be in a school where the roof leaks, or the play-structures are falling apart but this whole area is so new that even the "older" schools are no more than 10-15 years old and the facilities are in excellent condition. I mean, Harvard is pretty ancient by these standards, but I hear it is a pretty good school. No?

2 comments:

une femme artiste said...

Follow your own questioning. This process is already leading you to the right decisions on behalf of your child. Notice what about those questions are really important to you that focus your attention on your child's ability to be a responsive learner. Most likely you are also carrying around thoughful considerations in this important decision-making process that are reflective of the conversations you are having with your spouse concerning your child's learning welfare...probably most important, is to focus on the child's exploring/learning capacity as it is emerging now. This may be more intuitive on your part, but I found in raising my child (alone), that my focus on her as a learner worked very well for us. It helped in navigating the challenges that will invariably crop up along the next thirteen years! This leads to you becoming a pro-active parent in their education, either directly involved as a volunteer in the school environment, or as your child's personal coach and cheerleader at home. I found that if I always stay tuned into my child's needs to learn, and grow, and develop in her expressions as a human being, she was getting her needs met to learn, and to cope developmentally. This includes, at least, a periodic hands-on with just you and your child's teachers. trust your guts here, you'll know when that time comes.
In the beginning, going to all parent/teacher conferences gives you additional input that is empowering as you also are learning to support the development of your child's capacities to grow as a vibrant learner. They are an individual becoming, in our care. Stay glued to this, your child is constantly communicating what THEY need to grow. I could not have guessed this in the beginning, and was surprised at one point as to the level of constructive challenges my child was naturally responsive to, in order for HER to learn!
Old school building versus new school building is still the building in which the learning takes place. You are trying to discover the content within_go! Make appointments, seek!
Administrators, and teachers do like meeting their allies in the teaching/learning process_ defer to them respectfully, and this is how they will see you the parent, as an ally_ that is focusing on your child right?
Make an appointment, take your child afterwards on a guided tour of the possibilities once you become better informed, first-person. Do not hesitate, this is your child's education from the getgo. Go to both schools, like an adventure of discovery for yourself, follow your own questions. Share your own entusiasm with your child. Look at (your) own initiative behind having a blogspot! You are doing fine.

Seasoned responder_hope you don't mind!
K_

Alien Mama said...

No Kerrie, I don't mind. I am here so that I may learn from the seasoned ones.